Message Boards

Initial project configuration

thumbnail
Ken M. Penner, modified 4 Years ago.

Initial project configuration

Padawan Posts: 31 Join Date: 6/22/18 Recent Posts
I'm using a release from 2016-11-01, so if these have been fixed in a more recent release, let me know.
​​​​​​​When a Digital Critial Edition site is created, the new welcome page recommends certain gadget configuration settings. Not all of these gadgets/settings can be found as described. 
  1. Is "Admin - Document Maintenance Page" supposed to be "Admin - Manuscript Maintenance page"?
  2. What does "Admin - Reconciliation Page" refer to?

• Admin - Document Maintenance Page
    • Catalogue Gadget
      • Gadget Height: Medium
      • Include Page Details: No
      • Include Hover Over Info: No
    • Document Details Gadget
      • Gadget Height: Medium
      • Include Display of Manuscript Features: No
      • Include Display of Shelf Info: No
  • Admin - Reconciliation Page
    • Transcription Editor Gadget
      • Transcription Owner: Current Project
      • Gadget Height: Short
      • Announce Changes: Yes
    • Catalogue Gadget
      • Include Project Assignment Progress: Yes
      • Project Progress For: Current Project
thumbnail

RE: Initial project configuration

I found the "Reconciliation" page, after changing the setting in Site Pages, Private Pages: Hide from Navigation Menu.
thumbnail
Troy A. Griffitts, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 8/12/16 Recent Posts
Hi Ken,

Typically, the Reconciler page isn't directly selected from the page menu, but instead is usually accessed by clicking on the Klingon Reconciliation button on the Project assignment page.  The workflow we typically use is to assign two transcribers to each manuscript.  You will see the Klingon Reconciliation button at the left of each manuscript row on the project's task assignment page.  Each of these buttons will jump you to the Reconciliation page with the manuscript and transcribers in context for the Klingon button selected.  Hope this explains the thinking behind not including the Reconciliation page on the top page menu.

We probably need a workflow walkthru that describes our process for editing-- at least for other projects to consider as a starting point.  Thank you for the great feedback.  It has been really helpful to hear your experience as a user trying to jump in and start using the VMRCRE package without the benefit of having one of our team explain things in person as you go.  We have a lot of work to do on documentation and intuitive interface design.  Keep the feedback coming.  I hope we can get you to a place where you can be productive with the software for your research.

Troy 
thumbnail

Troy A. Griffitts wrote: Typically, the Reconciler page isn't directly selected from the page menu, but instead is usually accessed by clicking on the Klingon Reconciliation button on the Project assignment page.  The workflow we typically use is to assign two transcribers to each manuscript.  You will see the Klingon Reconciliation button at the left of each manuscript row on the project's task assignment page.  Each of these buttons will jump you to the Reconciliation page with the manuscript and transcribers in context for the Klingon button selected.  Hope this explains the thinking behind not including the Reconciliation page on the top page menu.
That makes sense. At the time I originally posted, I wasn't seeing the "Klingon" merge button on the Project assignment page.  
And at first the Project assignment page wasn't showing anything useful because I hadn't assigned tasks to the users. I think I hadn't even created a Project. I certainly hadn't specified its Content and Manuscript Lists or Task. Now that I have set those, the Project assignment page is useful, and if I'm logged in as admin I see the button. But not if I'm logged in as a regular user.
Now I'm trying to figure out what user permissions need to be set in order for that button to appear.
(BTW, where is that icon from? It doesn't quite look like the Klingon logo I know, but it reminds me of the PDF Split and Merge icon.)
thumbnail

Now I'm trying to figure out what user permissions need to be set in order for that button to appear.
Answered: It appears after making the user a Site Administrator for the site/project.