Message Boards

Updating Transcription Editor

thumbnail
Ken M. Penner, modified 4 Years ago.

Updating Transcription Editor

Padawan Posts: 31 Join Date: 6/22/18 Recent Posts
Because my transcription editor version was showing beta 2.0, I entered the following commands:
cd ~/vmrcre-linux/community/webapp/modules/transcript/edit
svn update
rm -rf js wce-ote
tar xzfv wce-ote-2.2.1-20170424.tar.gz
​​​​​​​Now the transcription editor doesn't load (Says "Portlet is temporarily unavailable.") and the logs show multiple entries that start as follows:
19:36:03,742 ERROR [RuntimePageImpl-5][PortletServlet:116] javax.portlet.PortletException: com.liferay.opensocial.GadgetURLException: org.apache.shindig.gadgets.process.ProcessingException: org.apache.shindig.common.xml.XmlException: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared. At: (11,24)
javax.portlet.PortletException: com.liferay.opensocial.GadgetURLException: org.apache.shindig.gadgets.process.ProcessingException: org.apache.shindig.common.xml.XmlException: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared. At: (11,24)
        at com.liferay.opensocial.gadget.portlet.BaseGadgetPortlet.render(BaseGadgetPortlet.java:75)
thumbnail

RE: Updating Transcription Editor

Our work is at a standstill because of this error. I need some pointers on how to debug it.
Something in the Transcription Editor is choking on a nbsp entity.
thumbnail
Troy A. Griffitts, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 8/12/16 Recent Posts
Dear Ken,

My apologies for just noticing this message last night.  Today I have spent some time merging any outstanding updates to the OTE from the INTF with the official OTE source repository at https://sourceforge.net/projects/wfce-ote/  I have then pulled their latest bundle to the live NTVMR instance of the VMR CRE and ran some basic tests to be sure nothing had broken catastrophically.  It looks good from a cursory review.  I then committed this latest bundle to the VMR CRE source repository.  If you do an svn update you will now see this latest bundle.

One thing I would recommend checking is if the OTE gadget URL has changed since the older VMR CRE bundle was compiled.  It could be this is the cause for the error above.  You can check this by going to: Admin, Control Panel, OpenSocial, Apps: OpenSocial Admin.  Then scoll down to the Transcription Editor (you may need to page forward a few times to find it), then confirm the URL for this gadget is the latest, which should be:

http://localhost:8080/community/modules/transcript/edit

If not, there should be a "Publish" button at the top of the page which should allow you to enter that URL to add the latest version of the OTE to the component pallet. Then you can drop it on any page which had the older gadget.

Please let me know if you need help with any of this.  We really should release a new download bundle since things in svn have diverged to the point where manual changes like these are now necessary.

​​​​​​​Troy
thumbnail

No problem. We haven't been at a standstill all this time because I copied the wce-ote folder over from another installation and at least got the older version of the OTE back.
I checked and the Transcription Editor gadget URL does show http://localhost:8080/community/modules/transcript/edit
Yet even after the svn update (which pulled two tarballs) the OTE is still showing "Version: 2.0.1beta (2016-10-25)". That's after mv -ing the wce-ote folder to something else, and extracting the tar (even with --overwrite)!
thumbnail
Troy A. Griffitts, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 8/12/16 Recent Posts
I wonder if it could be something caching the old gadget.  Maybe try stopping and starting your portal and while it is down, clear your browser cache, or try a browser which hasn't yet hit your portal (e.g., firefox vs chrome).
thumbnail

I see multiple copies of the transcript module.
vmrcre-linux/community/modules/transcript/edit/wce-ote/plugin/changelog.htm says "Recent version 2.0.1beta (2016-10-26)"
vmrcre-linux/community/webapp/modules/transcript/edit/wce-ote/plugin/changelog.htm says "Recent version 2.4.0 (2018-03-09)"
vmrcre-linux/community/webapp/modules/transcript/edit/edit/wce-ote/plugin/changelog.htm says "Recent version 2.2.1 (2016-04-24)"
thumbnail

Here's what solved it:
~/vmrcre-linux/community/modules/transcript/edit$ ​​​​​​​tar xzfv ~/vmrcre-linux/community/webapp/modules/transcript/edit/wce-ote-2.4.1-20190812.tar.gz
Notice the presence and absence of "/webapp" between "community" and "/modules"
​​​​​​​I'm on version 2.4.1 (2019-08-12) now.